Trimming branches or heavy bushes on yard trees doesn't need to be a stressful and time-consuming process.
But having limited equipment makes the job even more complicated. You might be wondering what kind of tool to invest in to solve this problem.
Perhaps, you already have pruning shears, loppers, pruning saws, hedge shears, or pole pruner. Now, what other equipment might you need to purchase this 2020? It’s time to look for the best reasonably priced chainsaw.
A quality and feature-packed chainsaw will give you an advantage whenever you trim dense bushes or branches of trees in your yard. It can save your time, effort, and money, making you enjoy any maintenance jobs at home.
If you have done some research online, there are many options to weigh in mind. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced shopper, more often than not, find the process of choosing between products overwhelming and confusing, right?
What’s the best budget friendly chainsaw? Are those available brands trustworthy and reliable? In this comprehensive guide, you will know everything about the best chainsaw made specially for you. Without further ado, let’s begin!
- 1 Best Rated Chainsaws
- 2 Common Chainsaw Terms you should Understand
- 3 More Features and Definitions Found on the Best Chainsaws
- 3.0.1 Guide Bar Length
- 3.0.2 Gas Chainsaw
- 3.0.3 Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw
- 3.0.4 Electric Chainsaw
- 3.0.5 Manual Chain Brake
- 3.0.6 Inertia-Activated Chain Brake
- 3.0.7 Manual Chain Oiler
- 3.0.8 Bucking Spikes
- 3.0.9 Automatic Chain Oiler
- 3.0.10 Automatic Chain Oiler
- 3.0.11 Chain Catcher
- 3.0.12 Anti-Vibration System
- 3.0.13 Side-Mounted Chain Tensioning System
- 3.1 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Conclusion
Best Rated Chainsaws
In this section, we have gathered the top 10 best chainsaws for homeowners/clients with specific requirements.
Remington RM4214 Chainsaw
It’s exhausting to browse hundreds of sites to find the best chainsaw. No need to continue searching further, the solution is the Remington RM4214 Chainsaw.
Popular for suburban and rural homeowners, Remington RM4214 Chainsaw is a professional gas-powered chainsaw suitable for various woodcutting or trimming tasks.
With a 14 inch bar and chain, RM4214 is a top-notch option for pruning branches and even cutting small trees. Cutting trees of at least 28 inches is also a possibility.
That’s not all! This chainsaw features QuickStart technology that’s responsible for smoother and convenient starting. It provides the automatic oiler packed with the adjustable flow to ensure a perfect chain lubrication. It is also equipped with a 5 point anti-vibration system, making it seamless and swift to utilize.
- Made with a side-mounted chain tensioning system that ensures comfortable chain adjustments.
- It doesn’t require other special tools and equipment to set up.
- The chain brake is so advanced and inertia-activated, which is one of the best safety features in today’s market.
- A manual chain brake is included in the package.
- A heavy chainsaw. You can work out while trimming the trees in your garden. It weighs around 15.7 lbs.
- It only has a 2-year warranty.
Remington RM4216 Chainsaw
Since 1920, Remington has a strong reputation for creating high quality and innovative power tools that are a fantastic option for professional and heavy-duty use.
The RM4216 is one of its top sellers and has been for many years now. Designed to be lightweight, this chainsaw is also powerful. Whatever the kind of project you have at the moment, you can get the job done with this piece of machinery.
Just like the RM4214, RM4216 gives you the same advantage, with a longer bar length, which measures around 16 inches.
If you want a good power tool that’s also user-friendly, RM4214 should be on top of your list. Ideal for beginners and pros, this 16 inch gas-powered chainsaw will be fun to operate and navigate.
Of course, there’s a great number of brands that provide 16 inch gas-powered chainsaws, but what makes RM4214 different from the rest is that it features an automatic oiler with adjustable flow. Also, it has a 5 point anti-vibration system you would enjoy.
- Available at a competitive rate. It is ideal for those who are on a tight budget.
- It comes with a 42cc engine that provides enough power to cut through hardwood logs and other materials.
- The safety features are incredible. Thanks to its throttle lock switch and chain break.
- According to chainsaw reviews, RM4216 leaks excess oil, especially in storage.
- It might be slow for heavy jobs and projects.
Poulan Pro PR5020 Chainsaw
An excellent power tool, Poulan Pro PR5020 is another gas-powered chainsaw that’s suitable for professionals and homeowners out there.
Weighing around 17 lbs., Poulan Pro PR5020 is a lightweight chainsaw, making all cutting jobs simpler and convenient, more than you’ve ever imagined.
The power, on the other hand, is excellent. It is built with a 2 stroke oxypower engine technology, giving around 50-cc. This is powerful for heavy-duty tasks at home.
After different updates, Poulan Pro PR5020 now reduces its emission levels up to 70%. It also lowers fuel consumption by 20%, helping you avoid unnecessary costs in the long run.
The PR5020 chainsaw supports at least a 20 inch bar and chain. Designed with a low kickback bar, it can reduce your risks of having any serious injuries during operation and maintenance.
Made with a tool-free chain tensioning, this chainsaw provides easy and fast access for necessary chain adjustment.
- It is easy to start. Thanks to its effortless pull starting system.
- Every package consists of a purge bulb and a user-friendly choke/stop control.
- It reduces the risk of engine damage and other signs of repair.
- Ergonomically designed handle.
- Advanced anti-vibration system.
- Oxypower engine technology.
- The ignition modules may have some costly issues. Good news! It is covered with a warranty.
- According to some chainsaw reviews, the bar might not be as flexible as other options.
Husqvarna 460 Chainsaw
One of the best chainsaws? Positive chainsaw reviews? Name it! Husqvarna 460 chainsaw has them all.
A professional saw, Husqvarna is a great choice for experienced operators who have some serious projects.
It has been getting immense popularity as a power tool. It can perform the toughest yard work without some troubles. It can take down large trees and even rip logs into usable lumber.
It features x-torq technology, which reduces emissions by at least 60%. It minimizes fuel consumption by around 20%. That means you can cut any material within a long period of time while saving money on gas.
- It consists of an inertia-activated chain brake.
- It offers an automatic oiler with adjustable flow.
- It is packed with a side-mounted chain tensioning system.
- One of the best gas chainsaws you should invest in.
- It can grind thru good-sized logs with enough weight you would love.
- Available with a big fuel tank.
- Customers love its X-torq engine that reduces fuel use and lowers emissions.
- A fast gas model that can make any woodcutting job less stressful and confusing.
- It chews hardwood and other tough materials.
- It may leak oil sometimes. So, make sure to check, clean, and maintain it on a regular basis.
- It might be loud despite its lowvib feature.
Makita XCUO2PT1 Chainsaw
Are you looking for chainsaws with an electric motor? You’re in good hands with Makita. With a wide collection of chainsaws from the company, what is the best option for you? Makita XCU02PT1 should be on top of your mind.
Although it has a short guide bar, Makita XCU02PT1 is a perfect tool for trimming jobs and other residential projects in your yard.
Compared to a gas-powered chainsaw, this electric chainsaw is a silent operator. It is quieter than its competitors.
As one of the most popular electric chainsaws, Makita XCU02PT1 does not require intensive and expensive maintenance. Yes, it is easy to clean and maintain, making it a suitable choice for those who have hectic schedules.
- It is compatible with an 18V LXT lithium-ion battery, which gives your runtime a boost.
- The package is available with a 4 quick charge battery. That means you can cut for hours without the need to recharge it repeatedly.
- The batteries are standardized, meaning you can use them in other Makita’s collection.
- It provides a manual chain brake with an excellent safety feature.
- Similar to other gas-powered chainsaws, it is made with an automatic oiler with adjustable flow.
- Based on other chainsaw reviews, the product’s chain cutting speed is lower than a gas-powered chainsaw.
DeWalt DCCS690M1 Chainsaw
Another brand with a reputation for providing high quality tools is probably DeWalt. One of its best choices is DCCS690M1.
Developed for both light and medium size cutting jobs, this best gas-powered chainsaw for the money is a perfect option for homeowners.
DeWalt claims this gas chainsaw is excellent for getting rid of tree limbs. The industry’s leading manufacturer also states that the gas chainsaw has a 14 inch maximum cutting diameter. This means it can carry out a variety of light and even medium cutting tasks on your property.
As one of the high-end gas chainsaws, DCCS90M1 is easy to start, simply because it doesn't use a pull cord. All you have to do is to make sure the chain brake is properly disengaged and proceed to push the lock-off lever while pressing the trigger. That’s it! There are no complicated procedures needed to bear in mind.
- It has a variable speed trigger, meaning you can adjust the chainsaw when need arises.
- It is a well-balanced gas chainsaw with a stylish and aesthetically pleasing design.
- The excellent cutting ability has been associated with this company's name.
- Powered by a lithium-ion battery. It is long-lasting.
- It runs out of oil quickly, so be prepared.
- It can also lead during storage.
Greenworks Pro GCS80420 Chainsaw
Tired or unsatisfied with the gas chainsaw? If so, Greenworks Pro GCS80420 chainsaw has your back.
Considered as a top-rated chainsaw, Greenworks Pro GCS80420 does not disappoint its valued customers as it provides them with extreme performance, due to its 18-inch bar length.
Whether you’re searching for a powerful or a heavy duty tool for your yard work, this battery-powered chainsaw is truly a lifesaver. It is indeed one of the biggest and the best battery-powered products that you can choose from.
Greenworks Pro GCS30420 can tackle tough wood cutting tasks without the trouble of the user lugging gasoline around. Also, you can say bye to exhaust fumes around your residential property when doing some landscaping.
- A go-to option for those who are looking for an 80V lithium ion battery.
- This battery chainsaw can last up to a maximum of 45 minutes cutting time. Make sure you recharge it properly, to help make your work convenient.
- Being one of the sought-after chainsaw models, it has bucklng spikes that other products don’t have.
- You can achieve a precise cut with this battery-powered chainsaw.
- It is 100% well-lubricated most of the time because of the automatic oiler.
- The runtime of the 2AH battery could be better, according to most chainsaw reviews.
- It only comes with a single lithium-ion battery.
Greenworks 20222 Chainsaw
Used for basic felling and lumbering, Greenworks 20222 electric chainsaw is a great tool for getting rid of buttress roots. It is also a suitable saw for trimming both limbs and branches, making it an incredible tool for back yard use.
Many homeowners are afraid of switching a saw on, but you don’t need to feel that way while using this user-friendly electric chainsaw. After plugging it into a power supply, make sure you remember to add chain oil and activate the switch.
What makes it a unique entry-level model is that its design is available with a compact and lightweight design. It is not only easy to use but also something you can boast to some of your relatives and even closest friends.
- It requires low and affordable maintenance.
- It offers a wraparound hand guard that prevents any type of hardwood from flying.
- The risk of kickback is lower than what you thought in the first place.
- It has one of the most cutting-edge chain tensioners in the industry.
- The chain tensioner allows you to adjust the chain tightness to the point you would prefer.
- There’s no need to use a separate tool to adjust the chain. Thanks to its innovative chain tensioner.
- Reliable engine size.
- It does not have a chain brake.
- It is important to check the chain tension frequently.
Remington RM1645 Chainsaw
Another best electric chain saw is the Remington RM1645. Although years have passed, RM1645 is still one of the most popular electric chainsaws designed by Remington.
Developed for occasional use, the RM1645 chain saw can handle a wide array of light cutting duties in your yard, as mentioned in most online reviews.
Similar to other electric chainsaws, RM1645 also has a safe and simple starting system. Homeowners just need to press the throttle lockout switch and throttle control button to enjoy a trouble-free start experience.
Another thing to expect from RM1645 is its touch rear grip. It is not only soft but can also provide an anti-vibration effect. What else? It features a front wraparound handle that can help you cut at a wide array of angles.
- It is reasonably portable and compact. It only weighs around 9 lbs.
- Equipped with a 16-inch low kickback bar.
- The chain is easy to sharpen, so don’t be afraid when cutting performance deteriorates after years of use.
- You can keep its chain tensioner in a perfect condition by using an external adjustment screw.
- It is reasonably priced, so expect bigger savings in the long run.
- Customers reported some quality issues. But don’t worry as the company has been making improvements to its products.
WORX WG304.1 Chainsaw
WORX WG304.1 Chainsaw adds to this list of electric powered chainsaws.
Who does not want a powerful chain saw? Everyone dreams of using strong and effective chain saws and certainly WORX WG304.1 does not disappoint in this category.
As a corded saw, WORX WG304.1 is suitable for ranchers, professionals, ranchers, and other customers in the industry.
Aside from the price, it is easy to use and cost-effective to maintain. Whether you have a less or medium levels of yard work at home, using this chain saw will definitely make it to be one of your top favorite tools.
- Ergonomically safe and rubberized handle.
- 14.5 amp engine size.
- It is available with a chain brake.
- There’s nothing to worry about the chain tension.
- It cannot perform large-sized jobs.
- The length of the extension cord is limited.
Common Chainsaw Terms you should Understand
Have you been encountering difficult terms about a chainsaw? It’s all right, it is part of the process. In this section, we have gathered a few terms to learn, understand and help you begin:
Commonly known as the heart of a chain saw, a guide bar is where a chain spins around. The bar length helps you identify the thickness of a tree your chosen chain saw can cut. The standard bar length ranges from 12 to 24 inches. Another tip is to use a chain saw with a bar length that is 2 inches longer than the object’s thickness. Also, experts recommend a 20 inch bar to improve work flow.
The power source is another important term you would encounter. What is it? Well, the power source refers to the source of energy that used to run the chainsaw. There are three common options, including gasoline, electricity, and batteries.
A gas chainsaw is a regular favorite because it is able to produce more power. As long as the tank is filled with the required fuel, a gas chainsaw will effectively do its job.
A battery-powered chain saw uses a lithium-ion battery. As the second-best type of power source, the chain saw is portable but it isn't as powerful when compared to gas chainsaws.
Electric chain saws, on the contrary, are stronger and more effective than a battery-powered chain saws. The only difference is that you have to plug it into a wall outlet, therefore affecting your mobility.
Type of Oiler
To reduce the risks of overheating, it is important to oil chains and chainsaw bars. Generally, oilers are available in three types. Aside from the two automatic versions, there’s a manual oiler type.
Although manual oilers require constant attention, it gives you control every time you oil your chain saw.
A fixed flow automatic oiler can keep your chain saw well-lubricated without a lot of trouble.
An adjustable flow automatic oiler does not only offer constant lubrication but also gives you the chance to modify the right flow.
Type of Chain Brake
Chain brakes are available in two types such as manual chain brakes and inertia-activated chain brakes.
Manual chain brakes work when you push them forward during the kickback. Inertia-activated chain brakes are automatic.
More Features and Definitions Found on the Best Chainsaws
Apart from the basic terms, we also prepared more features and definitions that can help you end up with the right chainsaw.
Guide Bar Length
Chainsaw bar length holds the chain and determines the type of job you can perform. Besides, it increases in increments of two inches.
6” chainsaw bar - the shortest bar length
14” chainsaw bar - ideal for cutting small trees
16” to 20” chainsaw bar - perfect for heavy duty woodcutting jobs
20” to 24” chainsaw bar - cuts very thick trees
Two types of gas chainsaws are available: 2-cycle and 4-cycle. Running a 2-cycle chainsaw requires a fuel and oil mix ratio of 40:1 or 50:1. As for the 4-cycle chainsaw, it only requires gasoline to run, while being equipped with a separate oil tank.
Cordless (Battery) Chainsaw
This type of chainsaw runs on lithium-ion batteries. While it is less powerful, it is quieter and does not produce fuel emissions in comparison to gas-powered chainsaws.
This chainsaw might be less powerful than a gas chainsaw but more powerful than a battery-operated chainsaw. Since a power outlet with a cord is necessary to power this chainsaw, there’s a limitation in terms of the proximity you can reach while using it.
Manual Chain Brake
This safety mechanism prevents injuries during kickback. You can find it between the bar and top handlebar.
Inertia-Activated Chain Brake
This chain brake is activated by the force of inertia. As the safest chain brake, it stops the chain from spinning during sudden kickback.
Manual Chain Oiler
Using a push-button, you can oil the chainsaw bar. The good thing is that you can control the amount of lubrication.
These metal spikes are located at the base of the bar. They provide more controlled sawing while serving as a safety feature. They can grip onto a tree trunk or log during kickback to avoid injuries.
Automatic Chain Oiler
Combining manual and automatic oilers, automatic chain oiler delivers a constant oil stream to the chainsaw bar. Besides, it provides an option to adjust the rate of flow.
Automatic Chain Oiler
This another method of oiling where the chainsaw bar automatically provides lubricant at a fixed rate of flow. Meaning, no need for you to touch anything to ensure proper oiling.
A chain catcher refers to a piece of metal located underneath the chainsaw. This safety feature reduces the instances of injury when the chain derails or breaks.
This feature prevents the rear handle from having contact with the chainsaw engine. For longer use, it reduces vibration on your hand while lowering fatigue.
Side-Mounted Chain Tensioning System
This feature lets you adjust the tightness of the chainsaw quickly, even without the need of special tools. You can easily adjust the chain tension.
Frequently Asked Questions
We want you to shop your next chainsaw with full confidence, so we will give you the best answers to satisfy your questions.
Q: Which chainsaw is the best?
A: Battery-operated, corded electric and gas-powered chainsaws are all top choices in the market. Each of them comes with unique features and excel in different areas. So, the answer depends on your needs.
Q: How long does a chain last?
A: It depends on what you are cutting. Even if you have a new chain, it can be destroyed if charcoal, sand, and rocks hit with the cutters. Also, if you cut using a dull chain, it will result to overheating on the chain and bar due to increased friction. This might lead to the stretching of the chain prematurely.
Q: Why does my chainsaw fail to cut straight?
A: There are several reasons why this happens. A worn guide bar or uneven sharpening are the most common causes. Most of the time, all you need to do is trim the guide bar and professionally sharpen the chain. There are also instances that you might need to replace the chain completely.
Q: How can I select a new chainsaw?
A: Make sure to buy only the chainsaw you are comfortable with. Most chainsaw manufacturers today use new and lighter materials. This is to build more durable and powerful machines.
Q: What should I do with my flooded chainsaw?
A: Accidents happen, and you might end up with a flooded saw. The first thing you should do is to start the chainsaw by activating the throttle. Then, make sure to leave the choke in the off position. Next, activate the decompressor of the saw if equipped, and pull the starter. Your chainsaw will then start. If this does not work, the best thing you can do is to check if the warranty still applies or seek assistance from professionals.
Q: How often should I fill the chain/oil reservoir?
A: Whenever you refuel the chainsaw, make sure to top up the chain oil. Most chainsaws are equipped with adjustable oil pumps. So, adding or reducing the amount of oil is very easy. Most manufacturers design the oil tank size so that the users will utilize one tank of fuel mix to a tank of oil.
Always keep in mind that everyone has a unique preference when it comes to choosing their chainsaw. You may prioritize how the saw is powered and the length of the bar, while others may prefer the type of chain brake or the amount of control over oiling the bar.
Before you settle with a particular chainsaw, make sure that you know what your needs are. We hope that this post will help you in choosing and purchasing a quality and dependable chainsaw.